Thursday, February 1, 2007

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.





Ok....ok..........ok, ok. so it's freaking awesome here. I'm so glad that I came!!! But I'm not gonna lie, at first it really sucked, because I came here without friends or anyone that I knew, and sadly, people here don't like talking to people who look like Americans because they think that we will speak only in english to them and they won't understand anything. It's really stupid, but there wasn't much I could do. Anyways, I was walking to the beach yesterday (yeah!) and I nodded to some kids I had seen around the dorm (there are only two at this university), and kept on walking. Then two of them ran up and asked me if I wanted to go get some ice cream with them (there were nine in all). Of course I said no, spat in their faces and told them I had better things to do. And then I went with them. :) Strangely enough (thank you Laura) they were mostly canadian and the like. I think that I've found the french and british people here to be really snobbym which is fine, I like canadians, even though they have wierd french accents. Anyways, the day ended with all of us sitting on Melina's balcony sipping wine and telling jokes and stories. It's been good so far, despite whatever set backs I've had, I certainly have learned a lot. And my french is a lot better too!!

O yeah, about the plane ride over: (suprise suprise) Air India lost my bags on the first leg of my flight, and calling my parents racked up a hefty phone bill of close to 80 dollars, and I didn't get to lie down for close to a day and a half. You don't understand how wierd it felt to lay flat for the first time after all of that. But of course, somehow I lived and I'm here and my bags got here the day after me, and I think I converted the guy who makes sure I take care of what I need to because of it, because he kept blathering on about how he'll trust my god now that I got my bags the day after I got here (what?!). whatever.

Ok, about the island. Its absolutely beautiful here, the sky is always full of big, pretty clouds and its always blue and there are flowers on almost every plant. and, of course, there's always a nice tropical breeze. But it is hot. And I'm so jealous of Greensboro right now....I want snow. :( Well anyways, I'm gonna upload some pictures!!! You'll love the view from my room!

Love y'all!


The Mountains from my room!












The beautiful sky!






St. Denis at sunset AND under a full moon!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you got there okay! How's the food? When do your classes start?

megan. said...

I'm excited for you!

Anonymous said...

that looks beautiful.
I'm glad you got there safely

zac said...

first off, thanks guys!!! the food is amazing, and my classes start tuesday. wooo!

Abi said...

yay for being in africa! it sounds like you're pretty much past that difficult first jaunt, now on to wild adventures! good luck with classes tomorrow, and i miss and love you!

Anonymous said...

room selections are coming up. Did you want to room together?? If so which room??? Let me know before room draws (towards the end of the month) Contact me through Facebook.
Vegan Poo